Table of Contents
Common Install Problems and Troubleshooting
If there is an issue with installing glFusion, you should receive an error message or feedback to help indicate the problem. Below are many common issues we've seen reported in the forums and through feedback and possible solutions.
Unable to locate db-config.php
If you receive the following error:
Unable to locate the db-config.php or db-config.php.dist file. Please make sure you have entered the correct path to your private directory.
This indicates you did not enter the correct path to where the db-config.php.dist is located. You need to enter the full, absolute path to the directory, do not include the db-config.php filename. If you are unsure what the correct path is, please consult with your hosting provider or your system administrator.
This path is also the path to where you uploaded the private/* files from the glFusion distribution.
db-config.php is not writable
If you receive the following error:
The db-config.php file is not writable. Please ensure the web server has permission to write to this file.
This error indicates that your web server does not have the proper permissions to create or write the db-config.php file. Please ensure the directory where the private/* files were copied has the proper permissions to allow the web server to write to this directory.
See Permissions for more information on how to set the proper permissions.
If you receive a message similar to this:
Parse error: parse error in /path/to/your/siteconfig.php on line 20
A parse error usually hints at a typo you've made. Check the file at the given line (the actual error may be in the line preceding the one mentioned in the error message).
Common problems are:
- not enclosing paths in single quotes properly
- missing semicolon at the end of the line
- using single quotes within a string (you need to write Joe's Site as Joe\'s Site, escaping the extra quote)
Unable to connect to database
This error indicates a problem with one of the following:
- The username / password entered for the MySQL database is incorrect
- The name of the MySQL database entered is incorrect
- The host name for the MySQL database is incorrect
Please validate the following information that you provided:
- Database Host name - this should be provided by your hosting provider or system administration. Generally this value is localhost
- Database Name - You should have created a database (or use an existing one) prior to installing glFusion. This is the name of the database you wish glFusion to use.
- Database Username - The username that is used to log into the database
- Database Password - The password that is used to log into the database
If you are unsure about any of these settings, please reach out to your hosting provider or system administrator.
glFusion has a dedicated website to provide support and updates at https://www.glfusion.org. There are online forums to discuss installation and usage issues, and there is an active user community to help provide support.
Please do not email the developers directly for support. If you are having a problem, it is better to use the forums as someone else may be able to respond much faster than we can.
If you post a question or a problem, the more information you can provide the better. We'll need to know things such as:
- What version of glFusion are you running?
- What were you trying to accomplish?
- What did you expect to happen?
- What did happen?
- List any error messages from glFusion’s error.log file (located at path/to/glfusion_private_/logs/) and / or the web server’s error log file (check with your hosting provider for the location of this log).
Before you ask a question, it is always a good idea to search the site first. If you don't find the answer, then please post your problem in the forum and we'll help you figure it out.