13 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 201 times)  

Hello

since the update, neither the German umlauts Äm Ö and Ü work. Even in the static pages, no content is displayed in the command center.

best regards

sebastian

glFusion User
Mark likes this.

Hmm - this is the second report of an issue with the encoding. I suspect it may be driven by the MySQL driver update in v1.7.4.

Couple of questions to help me isolate it:

1. If you look at the siteconfig.php - near the bottom - what is the encoding shown? (these 2 lines)

php Formatted Code
$_CONF['default_charset'] = 'utf-8';

$_CONF['db_charset'] = 'utf8mb4';

2. Go into Command & Control -> Environment Check - what does the Database Info area show?
- Database Driver
- Database Version
- Database Engine
- Database Collation
- Database Character Set

I suspect that the database driver update in glFusion is not setting the database connection appropriately for UTF8 character sets. Knowing what your site is showing will help me confirm.

Thanks!
Mark

Admin
glFusion Developer
Texas

Here is a quick fix that should take care of the issue for the short term until I get a long term fix.

Replace lib-database.php - in the private/system/ directory with the one attached.

Thanks!
Mark

Edited - Attachment removed

Admin
glFusion Developer
Texas
Last Edited May 17 18 @ 5:27

I think I found the root of the problem - unfortunately I cannot duplicate the issue so testing is difficult.

Using the released version of lib-database.php (not the one attached above) with this mysql_pdo.class.php (attached) - should work.

Replace mysql_pdo.class.php (private/system/database directory) with this new one.

Validate characters are displaying correctly.

Go into Command & Control -> Environment Check and double check the Database Info - make sure it shows pdo_mysql as the Database Driver.

Please let me know if this has positive results.

Thanks!
Mark

Edited - Attachment Removed

Admin
glFusion Developer
Texas
Last Edited May 17 18 @ 5:27

Hello Mark

all problems are solved it is super thanks a lot

glFusion User
Mark likes this.

Awesome - which solution solved it the mysql_pdo.class.php?

Admin
glFusion Developer
Texas

Quote by: Mark

I think Using the released version of lib-database.php (not the one attached above) with this mysql_pdo.class.php (attached) - should work.

Replace mysql_pdo.class.php (private/system/database directory) with this new one.

Validate characters are displaying correctly.

Go into Command & Control -> Environment Check and double check the Database Info - make sure it shows pdo_mysql as the Database Driver.

Please let me know if this has positive results.

Thanks!
Mark

Hi Mark.
I have followed these instructions but still no change.
I do recall having to change a couple of block titles that had £ in the title after upgrading.
Database Info shows pdo_mysql as the Database Driver.
The 2 lines at the bottom of the siteconfig.php file are as follows.

php Formatted Code
$_CONF['default_charset'] = 'utf-8';

$_CONF['db_charset'] = 'latin1';

Here is a screenshot of the Database Information
Click to view image

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away"

glFusion User

Quote by: Mark

Here is a quick fix that should take care of the issue for the short term until I get a long term fix.

Replace lib-database.php - in the private/system/ directory with the one attached.

Thanks!
Mark

I have also tried this way with the released version of mysql_pdo.class.php with no change. I am wondering if latin1 needs to be changed.
UPDATE: I needed to clear the cache. All is working now with this method as far as I can see.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away"

glFusion User
Last Edited May 16 18 @ 4:50

Yes. Replacing the lib-database.php seems to have fixed it. Smile

glFusion User
happy

Just to confirm I have checked this again and the new mysql_pdo.class.php file does not fix the issue, but the lib-database.php does, in my case. Thumbup

glFusion User

Glad it is working - will be curious to see which one fixed Koni's problem.

Sadly - having a mixture of latin1 / utf8 is problematic. I'm guessing this is on a really old site or possibly one that converted from geeklog long ago. glFusion has checks to prevent this from happening on new installs and I think they have been there for a few years.

Unfortunately, you can't just change the latin1 to utf8 - it will screw up any higher ascii characters.

I've recoded how lib-database works so it should handle these much better so it won't be a problem in the future.

Thanks for the feedback!

Admin
glFusion Developer
Texas

Hi Mark,

Yes. The site in question is an old site that has been around for a long time and I do believe it was originally a Geeklog site. I also used it for development at one point, until I set up a separate site.

The other site though was set up as a glFusion site and I had to change some of the story titles because a strange question mark character appeared here and there. It was like this...
Click to view image

glFusion User

I was finally able to re-create the encoding issue some folks were seeing. It seems to happen when there is a possible mix of latin1 encoding with utf8. It was a very simple code modification to account for this combination. So - if anyone runs into this issue - you can download the attached mysql_pdo.class.php (goes in the /private/system/databases/ directory) and update their site.

I have updated the distribution archives with the fix.

If you are not seeing any issues - no need to worry or make any changes.

Thanks!
Mark

Admin
glFusion Developer
Texas
Liked by lgarner, TJ.
13 posts :: Page 1 of 1