18 posts :: Page 1 of 2
By: Likes:
  (Read 4566 times)  

Hi, I've installed glF on several domains that I support, and I realized it would be really nice if there were an option to install without all the sample data and pre-populated static pages, topics, etc. As it is, when I install I have to go in and start deleting pages, menu options, blocks, etc that I don't want.

Am I missing something...is there a quicker/better way to do this? I also quickly realized a "batch delete" function for static pages would be an awesome addition. At the very least, I'd love to be able to delete static pages from the main Static Pages admin page. The only way I see to delete them (at least from the admin interface...without monkeying directly in the database and filesystem) is to edit one, scroll to the bottom of the page, and select the "delete" button there. I'd think putting a Delete function on the Static Pages list itself, similar to the way you can delete menu items within Menu Builder, would speed things up a bunch.

Open to any suggestions and corrections if I'm just doing things wrong or otherwise missing something obvious.

Thanks,
Eric

Guest User

I agreed with you Eric, that setting up glFusion that is filled with sample data is not the best idea. But with an ability to choose whether sample data should be loaded is a good idea.

I also think that static pages should be have a delete function in the listing page.

David

Guest User

Eric, very good point. We've rewritten the installer for glFusion v1.1.2 (upcoming release) and you will have the ability to select which plugins you want installed and whether or not to install the sample content. David is actually testing that feature for us right now, so hopefully he'll have some good feedback.

Let me look at the static page admin screen and see if we can come up with a better method to delete pages.

Thanks for the feedback!
Mark

Admin
glFusion Developer
Texas

Awesome, Mark...thanks for the quick response.

Let me know if you want me to test anything. I'm glad to help however I can.

Eric

Guest User

Yes the new installation enables you to select whether to include sample data. You can choose not to include sample data when you do set up. You can even select which plugin to include. However, when you select not to include sample data, there is still one story added to the general topic. I wonder can this be made as an option?

David

Guest User

However, when you select not to include sample data, there is still one story added to the general topic. I wonder can this be made as an option?

Let's discuss this a bit. I kept the one intro story for 2 reasons:

1) The home page looks very empty without something there.
2) My thought was we needed some 'introduction' information there..

After looking at it again, I think I would swap the 2 sample stories, so if we decide to keep 1 story regardless of the load content setting, I would use the What Can You Do with glFusion? story.

I'm interested in hearing other opinions, should we always have a default story on new install?

Thanks!
Mark

Admin
glFusion Developer
Texas

Mark - glad to see you're already thinking through these things and starting a dialog...here are my thoughts.

If we consider the new installation mode you're working on a sort of "expert mode" install, then I like having a completely blank slate to work with. For someone who's new to content management systems in general or glFusion in particular, I think sample data is fine and can help them get the lay of the land. I know it helped me! However, once they setup their 2nd or 3rd or 4th site, I think they'd rather have the option to install a nice clean wide-open system.

I would consider things like the plug-ins and blocks to be the "bricks" with which you begin to setup your site. I like having those things available to me (calendar, forum, "what's new" block, login block, etc) so I can use them as I see fit. However, sample stories, static pages, and menu layouts end up being things I have to change or remove completely as I build my site. My vote would be to eliminate anything like that from an "expert mode" install.

I appreciate your desire to make it as easy as possible for new users to get up to speed quickly, but I think with an adequate warning ("This will result in a completely empty homepage! Make sure you know what you're doing before using this mode!" or something like that), an expert mode install would be a great time saver for more experienced users. What about having multiple levels? Maybe you could choose from modes like Empty, Minimal, and Demo, each installing progressively more stuff.

Let me know what you think. Again, I'm willing to help test if you need me.

Eric

Guest User

There really isn't an "expert mode" installation per say, but just a checkbox to include installing the sample data or not.

I brought up this issue to Mark (with the one story being left in when choosing not to install the sample data) and like he says, the homepage is empty without any story content, and displays the "No news to display..." message (which is switched on as default.) It does look bad, but perhaps we're too concerned about looks.

My vote is to completely remove all the story content, and just make it very clear in the install screen what your site will look like. Perhaps add a blurb "Only recommended for experienced users" or something there, because the last thing we need is a bunch of forum posts asking why their homepage is empty. Wink

Also, something to think about is that in the future stories and topics will be pulled out of core and made a plugin proper, so the No News message that displays now, might not even be there if one decides not to install the Stories plugin.

Dovetailing on that is the fact that blocks, Staticpages, SpamX, BB2, and Captcha are not presented as options for inclusion. They will be installed as part of the required things for a functioning site. Perhaps the Stories plugin would fall into that boat? (and the name Stories seems so outdated, perhaps change it to Blog, or News or something, Joe mentioned perhaps splitting them, and for that matter Staticpages should just be named Pages, but that's a discussion for down the road. :-)

Thx!

Eric

glFusion User

Eric brings up a good point that I want to make sure everyone understands....

Currently, the way I have things setup, the following plugins are always installed:

• Bad Behavior2
  • CAPTCHA
  • CommentFeeds
  • SiteTailor
  • SpamX
  • StaticPages
The optional plugins are:
  • Links
  • Calendar
  • Polls
  • Media Gallery
  • Forum
  • FileMgmt
My thought is the list of always installed items either fall into the security class or needed to have a functioning system. You can always disable or remove any of them, but they always get installed.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Mark

Admin
glFusion Developer
Texas

Agree that the "security class or needed" should be installed. Especially the security plugins.
Cool

Guest User

Quote by: i5n

Again, I'm willing to help test if you need me.

Eric, if you are interested in testing out the development code, see the How to Help Test wiki page. That should get you started.

Thanks!
Mark

Admin
glFusion Developer
Texas

Hi Mark,

Thanks for adding the testing page in docuwiki. It enables me to know what I can do to test the code better.

The installation works fine now. Though there is a red warning sign for memory limits, it still allows me to proceed with the installation.

I will now try to test other section of the code.

BTW you mentioned you have given me "access to the ‘Auto Installer Capable Plugins’ download section on glFusion.org" May I know where is that?

David

Guest User

Mark -

Thanks for the testing how-to...I'll try to test today or over the weekend and let you know what I find.

I'm fine with your list of security/must-have plugins vs optional plugins. As I said before, I like having all those things available to me as I build a site. My only concern was with sample pages and other demo-oriented content that I have to rip out every time I start a new site.

One question, though...is CAPTCHA considered a must-have because of security or because it's deeply embedded into the code and too difficult to take out easily? The few times I've used CAPTCHA on my sites, I've used reCAPTCHA, which I think is both a cool concept and a better interface than most CAPTCHA systems. I've also just found out about an interesting alternative from Microsoft (wow, can't believe I'm considering using a security system from MS!) called ASIRRA that requires a user to identify pictures of cats and dogs...sounds silly, but looks like it works. Is there any way to use such an alternative instead of the built-in CAPTCHA?

Thanks again...looking forward to testing the new setup.

Eric

Guest User

You can turn the CAPTCHA off. I don't run it on my local machine, for example.

Guest User

Thanks...I know you can turn it off. I was wondering more whether you could use a different CAPTCHA. I don't really use it that much, but when I do, I prefer to use reCAPTCHA.

Not a big deal, by any means. I was just curious.

Thanks,
Eric

Guest User
18 posts :: Page 1 of 2