I am pleased to announce the release of glFusion v1.7.0. This release continues our journey to provide a robust and stable content management system. glFusion v1.7.0 also marks a significant milestone in glFusion’s evolution, it is the final major release that will be based off the original glFusion code base. There is a lot of news on this release, I realize it is TL;DR (Too Long;Didn't Read), but I do encourage everyone to check out the new enhancements and our plans for glFusion going forward.
Long Term Support (LTS) Release
There were two primary goals of the glFusion v1.7.x release:
- Provide a stable, security and fully functional CMS
- Provide a strong set of features and capabilities to carry us through during glFusion’s v2.0 development cycle.
Given these two goals, we have focused on several feature updates and tweaks to ensure functionality and several small bug fixes.
glFusion v1.7.0 is a Long Term Support (LTS) release, which means we will continue to support this version for at least 2 years, providing quarterly bug and security releases as needed. Why an LTS release you ask? Our plan is to focus on efforts on developing glFusion v2.0 which will build on a new, more modern, code base to drive improved functionality, usability and security. We expect glFusion v2.0 is going to take some time and to ensure we continue to provide a secure and robust CMS, we will continue to maintain the v1.7.x branch during this time.
What's New in glFusion v1.7.0
We have made several improvements to glFusion during this release cycle. Below are highlights of some of the major enhancements.
- Code improvements to prevent potential Cross Site Scripting Issues.
- Ability to Replace ImageMagick with GraphicsMagick for image processing - ImageMagick has several known vulnerabilities
- Automatically remove installation files after install / upgrade
- New installs do not use default password of ‘password’
- You can now attach a video to a story that will display / play when viewing the full story
Show On Front page Until
- Stories can now roll off the front page at a specific date / time - but still stay in the original topic
Comment System Improvements
- Comment Submission Queue
- Improved Comment Edit - including silent option for site administrators
- Comment RSS feeds now support all comments
- Anonymous comments now capture username
Ad Block Support
- New program interfaces to allow plugins to inject ads or banners into various glFusion content types (Header, Footer, Stories, Forums, Media Gallery, etc.)
Under the Hood Code Improvements
- PHP v7.2 Support
- Speed Improvements
We have updated several themes to support glFusion v1.70 as well. UIKIT, Demo, Equinox, and Legacy. Please visit the Theme Download Section to grab the latest release of your theme.
There are several plugin updates available to take advantage of new programming interfaces in glFusion. Check out the Plugin Updates story for more details. We also have a couple of new plugins for glFusion v1.7.0 Searcher and Testimonials.
As always, I would like to thank the glFusion community for all the feedback, bug reports, ideas and encouragement as we continue to evolve glFusion. I encourage everyone to Get Involved!