Forum Index >  glFusion Development >  glFusion Documentation New Topic Post Reply
 Split: glFusion Documentation Manual Source
   |  Printable Version
By: maty1206 (offline)  Mar 15 2009 12:22 pm (Read 2862 times)  
maty1206

I was expecting a reply at the main post Eek!

Ok, why don't just release the sources in a packages such as the pdf one? It suppose that is under GPL v2 license.

Cheers

split by Geiss to it's own thread since the parent post was intended to be a sticky post.

Forum Newbie

Group Comfort
Level:
: 0

Profile Email    
By: maty1206 (offline)  Mar 15 2009 12:50 pm  
maty1206

Hi

I had received the doc file. I will translate the whole User manual in to Spanish language. But I will use ODF for my document.

Cheers

Forum Newbie

Group Comfort
Level:

Profile Email    
By: Geiss (offline)  Mar 15 2009 16:44 pm  
Geiss

I was expecting a reply at the main post

I'm sorry for the confusion. Since this deals specifically with the documentation manual, I thought it best to post it here, and make it sticky, so others can find it when looking for documentation specific items.

Ok, why don't just release the sources in a packages such as the pdf one? It suppose that is under GPL v2 license.

Actually, if you read title page 3 in the .pdf manual, you'll see the following:

Licence & Copyright
The glFusion v1.1.2 Documentation Manual is © Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved by Mark R. Evans & Eric Warren. Content within this manual is a snapshot of the living wiki contents located online at wiki/doku.php?id=glfusion:start, and is a collection of information from various online sources. To the best of our knowledge, all content herein is freely available online under the terms of the GPL license, and is reproduced here with the implied consent of all respective parties involved with said content.

So basically the .pdf manual itself is not GPL. The content within the manual is. The main reason for this is that if the .pdf manual is ever published, we want to ensure that the rights and revenue land back in the hands of the project and is enjoyed by everyone in the glFusion community.

You are of course free to take any and all content from the online wiki and translate it, or compile it in manual form yourself, publish it, etc. But, as you have asked for the source document that created the released .pdf file, that is provided on a individual basis. Hence the reason for this thread as well. Big Grin

I hope this make sense? Big Grin

Thx!

Eric

Forum Active Member

Group Comfort
Level:
: +58

Profile Email Website  
By: maty1206 (offline)  Mar 15 2009 20:17 pm  
maty1206

So basically the .pdf manual itself is not GPL. Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad

I don't agree with you. Sorry about it, but there is any sense on your licensing management.

If your approach is

ensure that the rights and revenue land back in the hands of the project and is enjoyed by everyone in the glFusion community

, why don't release it under a GPL compatible license like a version of the Creative Commons organizations.

I think that you must use the Creative Commons - Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.

Honestly, there is not ethic to take some documentation from an GPL licensed wiki an then compile it and released under a non public license.

I'm not a lawyer, but you must ask to FSF about if it is legal & ethic.

Sorry guys, I won't translate the manual. I don't collaborate with close licensed texts.

Cry

Forum Newbie

Group Comfort
Level:

Profile Email    
By: trinity (offline)  Mar 15 2009 20:57 pm  
trinity

in the terms and services part of the site all user of the sitei give there permission for usage of the contents of the site added by users for the project. as far as i know the only ones to place any content in the wiki thus far are members of the development team. We as a project can dual licence and control the copyrights as we wish and does not encumber us on what we do with it and how we licence it . This is common on large OSS projects. the copyright is held on the style and format of the document

Forum Active Member

Group Comfort
Level:
: +9

Profile Email Website  
By: Geiss (offline)  Mar 15 2009 21:30 pm  
Geiss

Marvin,

The source to the glFusion manual is the wiki here at glFusion.org and is released under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License v1.2, as stated in the wiki footer, and is open to everyone. Like trinity states, the copyright in the .pdf manual only covers the "presentation" (ie. styling and formatting) in the .pdf itself.

I'm sorry for any mis-comunication, and thank you for your contributions to the glFusion community. Big Grin

Thx!

Eric

Forum Active Member

Group Comfort
Level:
: +58

Profile Email Website  
By: maty1206 (offline)  Mar 15 2009 22:22 pm  
maty1206

the copyrights as we wish and does not encumber us on what we do with it and how we licence it

Damn!

What's wrong with you? Mad

I'm not forcing to any one to do anything. Exclaimation I just was making a suggestion.

Come on!,

Forum Newbie

Group Comfort
Level:

Profile Email    
By: maty1206 (offline)  Mar 15 2009 22:27 pm  
maty1206

Quote by: Geiss

Marvin,

The source to the glFusion manual is the wiki here at glFusion.org and is released under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License v1.2, as stated in the wiki footer, and is open to everyone. Like trinity states, the copyright in the .pdf manual only covers the "presentation" (ie. styling and formatting) in the .pdf itself.

I'm sorry for any mis-comunication, and thank you for your contributions to the glFusion community. Big Grin

Thx!

Eric

Ohhhh... now I understand. Look, I had read the licensing statement of the User manual, pag 3, but in any place it states that the copyright in the .pdf manual only covers the "presentation" (ie. styling and formatting) in the .pdf itself.

How can people be sure about what you mean exactly by copyright or notConfused

I think it is strongly necessary to clarify what are you licensing under copy right and what is under GNU Free Documentation License v1.2.

This is a simple suggestion, not a flame war or toll discussion

Forum Newbie

Group Comfort
Level:

Profile Email    
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 10:31 am.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic w/ New Post Sticky Topic w/ New Post
Locked Topic w/ New Post Locked Topic w/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content