Forum Index >  glFusion >  glFusion Support New Topic Post Reply
 problem with sending mail
First | Previous | 1 2 | Next | Last    |  Printable Version
By: TekSerMan (offline)  Feb 05 2009 22:42 pm (Read 3205 times)  
TekSerMan

firstly hello to all, i'm new to glfusion been a nuke user for a long time now and decided it's time to try somethin new, so far i like this glfusion it's lite on resources which is a definate plus for me! the problem i'm having at present is (still in testing phase) when a user registers or when i try to send a test email the "unfortunately, the was a problem sending mail" or somethin close to that message comes up and there's no report of anything being wrong in my web server logs or what's worse on the screen which makes this a hard problem to track, does anyone have an idea what the root cause can be?

thanks
TekserMan

Forum Newbie

Group Comfort
Level:
: 0

Profile Email    
By: Mark (offline)  Feb 05 2009 22:54 pm  
Mark

Generally, when you see that message it means that glFusion was unable to connect to the mail server to send the message.

Take a look at the configuration for mail (Command & Control -> Configuration) and make sure you have the proper mail settings. You might even post what they are here so we can take a look.

For example, on my laptop (running Vista), I don't any mail or SMTP services running, so I get that same error on my development site (using WAMP on Windows). But, if I configure the mail system to use an outside SMTP server, it works fine.

Also, there is usually a more detailed message in the glFusion error.log file (Command & Control -> Logs). If there is more info there, post it here and we'll see if it helps isolate the problem.

Thanks!
Mark

Forum Admin
Admin

Group Comfort
Level:
: +111

Texas

By: TekSerMan (offline)  Feb 05 2009 23:14 pm  
TekSerMan

thanks for the rapid response Mark!

thought i'd give you a copy of the log entry:
02/05/09 20:32:17 - Email Error: SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host.
02/05/09 20:35:54 - Email Error: SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host.
02/05/09 20:39:46 - 2 - fputs(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource @ F:\web\Apache2\private\lib\phpmailer\class.smtp.php line 163
02/05/09 20:44:40 - Email Error: SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host.
02/05/09 21:11:17 - 2 - fputs(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource @ F:\web\Apache2\private\lib\phpmailer\class.smtp.php line 163

-->line 163:fputs($this->smtp_conn,"AUTH LOGIN" . $this->CRLF);
i'm using the smtp option for email to passthru my isp which is att, my user name, port, auth and pass are correct and i have no av or firewall blocking the site functions, can't figure this out! i've tried smtp and mail but because i don't have sendmail installed i haven't tried that. the access, captcha and spamx logs are all empty.

thanks again for the rapid response!
TekserMan

Forum Newbie

Group Comfort
Level:

Profile Email    
By: Mark (offline)  Feb 05 2009 23:28 pm  
Mark

It looks like it is failing to connect to the SMTP server. What do you have in the configuration for:

- SMTP Hostname
- SMTP Port
- SMTP Security Protocol

I have AT&T DSL, that really uses Yahoo mail, I have to set the Security Protocol to SSL for mine to work.

Thanks!
Mark

Forum Admin
Admin

Group Comfort
Level:

Texas

By: Anonymous: TekSerMan ()  Feb 06 2009 06:09 am  
Anonymous: TekSerMan

Quote by: Mark

It looks like it is failing to connect to the SMTP server. What do you have in the configuration for:

- SMTP Hostname
- SMTP Port
- SMTP Security Protocol

I have AT&T DSL, that really uses Yahoo mail, I have to set the Security Protocol to SSL for mine to work.

Thanks!
Mark

I have:
smtp.att.yahoo.com
SSL

Thanks!

By: Anonymous: TekserMan ()  Feb 06 2009 06:35 am  
Anonymous: TekserMan

Mark I see what I believe is the problem, it's trying to send "root" as the user name:

02/05/09 20:25:33 - Email Error: Could not instantiate mail function.
02/05/09 20:26:27 - Error, invalid username: 'root' - IP: 127.0.0.1
02/05/09 20:32:17 - Email Error: SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host.
02/05/09 20:35:54 - Email Error: SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host.
02/05/09 20:39:46 - 2 - fputs(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource @ F:\web\Apache2\private\lib\phpmailer\class.smtp.php line 163
02/05/09 20:44:40 - Email Error: SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host.
02/05/09 21:11:17 - 2 - fputs(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource @ F:\web\Apache2\private\lib\phpmailer\class.smtp.php line 163
02/06/09 06:13:18 - Email Error: SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host.
02/06/09 06:20:44 - Email Error: SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host.

thanks

By: Mark (offline)  Feb 06 2009 08:07 am  
Mark

I see, let me see if I can duplicate the problem and figure out why it isn't working.

Thanks!
Mark

Forum Admin
Admin

Group Comfort
Level:

Texas

By: Anonymous: TekserMan ()  Feb 06 2009 08:13 am  
Anonymous: TekserMan

I'll check other internals on this end too!

By: Anonymous: ASP ()  Mar 15 2009 10:18 am  
Anonymous: ASP

Hi,I am also having trouble with SMTP, i have a current version on Geeklog running with my settings set like this

SMTP
mail.shawcable.com

this is working fine on my geeklog site but not on my gl_fusion site im testing

seems like it should work on both if it works on one to me?

By: Mark (offline)  Mar 15 2009 13:16 pm  
Mark

Can you tell me what it is doing wrong? Do you have log messages or other indicators that might give a clue why it isn't work?

Thanks!
Mark

Forum Admin
Admin

Group Comfort
Level:

Texas

By: Anonymous: ASP ()  Mar 15 2009 13:58 pm  

Hi, thanks for your reply

this is the only stuff in the error log file

Sun 15 Mar 2009 09:51:20 CDT - Email Error: SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host.
Sun 15 Mar 2009 10:03:13 CDT - Email Error: The following From address failed: [email protected]

SMTP
mail.chawcable.com
smtp-username
smtp-password

these are the settings in both gl and glfusion

i don't know how to get any more details like the earlier post that says its trying to use "root" as the user

By: Mark (offline)  Mar 15 2009 14:02 pm  
Mark

Are both systems running from the same host? What other differences are there between the system that works and the one that doesn't?

Sorry to keep asking questions, but it is the best way to figure out the problem....

Thanks!
Mark

Forum Admin
Admin

Group Comfort
Level:

Texas

By: Anonymous: ASP ()  Mar 15 2009 15:21 pm  

Hi, no problem with the questions, i'm glad your trying to help me Big Grin

i have a fedora linux box in the next room, yes they are both on the same server/host, just in different folders with using vhosts in httpd.conf file
i dont think there is any difference?

www.ww1sims.com
www.dog-parks.net

i had trouble a while back with the gl site www.ww1sims.com and once i got the settings right all was well,
so i then installed glfusio a couple days ago and hoped the email settings would be exactly the same, but they don't work for some reason

Thanks for your time

By: Mark (offline)  Mar 15 2009 16:18 pm  
Mark

Very odd, the process is very simple, the mailer tries to open an SMTP connection to the server you configured with the port configured. If the identical settings are working on another vhost, then it should work on the other.

Your settings are pretty straight forward, a host and the standard port 25. You mentioned you had problems getting it to work originally, were there any other changes you made to allow the SMTP connection? Firewall settings, configuration on the mail server? Anything that we might need to duplicate so the new site will work?

Thanks!
Mark

Forum Admin
Admin

Group Comfort
Level:

Texas

By: ASP (offline)  Mar 17 2009 13:53 pm  
ASP

Hi...
Thanks for your time, no, there isn't anything set on the server, there is no firewall that i know of, when i had trouble with GL, it was just a matter of getting the smtp settings on the gl site config correct, mainly the mail.shawcable.com string was what got it to work, this doesn't seem to be working on gl_fusion, not sure why, but my head hurts now, prolly just going to give up now, but thanks for your time anyway
Andreas

Forum Junior
Junior

Group Comfort
Level:

Canada

Profile Email Website  
New Topic Post Reply

First | Previous | 1 2 | Next | Last

All times are CST. The time is now 06:11 am.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic w/ New Post Sticky Topic w/ New Post
Locked Topic w/ New Post Locked Topic w/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content